Artist-made Silhouette dies to pillow or puff fine silver, sterling silver, copper, or brass for enamels or metalsmithing jewelry.
We offer silhouettes dies in unique shapes. They add a 3D effect to your piece. If enameling your piece, a slight dome will help prevent glass from flaking off.
The sky is the limit; use your imagination. We cannot wait to see what you make!
Best results are achieved when using a very soft durometer (60-Durometer Urethane, 6″L x 6″W)*
For best results:
- Use 24 or 26 gauge annealed metal
- Apply texture first
- Cut metal slightly larger than the inner shape to be pressed
- Using a hydraulic press, press until the slightest amount of resistance and then press slightly more
- Lay the metal onto the urethane, place the die on top of the metal assuring there is excess beneath the inner shape, center it under the center point of your press.
- To remove it from the urethane, simply twist the urethane while listening for the pop
- Use a jewelers saw to cut the shape from the excess metal (Using sheers could distort the shape)
- As a design element (or for riveting) leave a “skirt” around the domed shape
- If you do not have a hydraulic press, you can use a wood punch and hammer to gently dome the metal in the die.
All designs are copyright Marianne Goodell Art and may not be reproduced or resold. The shapes may be used for your creations.
Urethane can be purchased at Rio Grande, click here.
- Always wear protective eyewear when using a hydraulic press
- Center the die directly under the center of the press
- Press just beyond the point where the press gives a little resistance
- Store your dies in a cool dry place